All about Shredders and Chippers
There are two basic types of shredder or chipper.
- The Flail type which has swinging flails which beat the material through a screen. This usually has a separate chipping blade to deal with larger material.
- The Chipper-Chopper type which uses knives to cut the material & does not use a screen.
The Flail type is usually more expensive than the chipper type.
General rules to follow when shredding or chipping.
- Do NOT attempt to shred vines, flax, cabbage trees, or any stringy material. It will wrap around the shaft & cause considerable damage to the machine.
- Keep the knives sharp. Some knives can be turned, presenting a fresh cutting edge.
- Clean out the machine after use. Ensure that there is no debris under the chute which will prevent the safety switch from closing.
- Check for vibration. Excessive vibration can cause the machine to disintegrate.
- Always wear ear muffs & goggles.
- Do NOT overfeed as a clogged machine can be difficult to clear.
- Do NOT operate the machine on concrete, this increases the vibration. Grass or soft earth is best.